I have been making plant medicine for over 20 years, working with plants in all their forms. I make teas, infused oils, aromatherapy blends, and hydrosols distilled from my own 100% organically grown garden herbs. The plants have so much to offer, and I am honored to be able to grow, process, and distill many wonderful medicinals here at my home in Canada.
As I have moved to and lived in various amazing places – Vermont, Ireland, Sweden, and now Canada, I have nurtured gardens, made herbal medicine, and reached out to the local community. Laine Herbals is intended to be a celebration of plants, and of the amazing gifts they offer to humanity. My goal is to share this joy through high-quality, effective products for body and mind.
All ingredients and carrier oils are pure and organic, and are always of the highest quality, chosen for specific purposes in each formula, and grown in my own gardens or wild-harvested personally whenever possible. My salves are made using local beeswax. All essential oils are sourced from companies that are involved in worldwide ecological projects encouraging sustainable and organic agriculture.
I strive to make products that create joy on many levels, and encourage health and healing in the most natural, effective ways.
I hope you enjoy them!
Kelli Laine Kavanagh
p.s. I would be happy to meet you at the Almonte Farmers’ Market.
Our garden is our lifeline; it nourishes us, heals us, and provides an abundance that we can share. We feel that the keys to a healthy garden are first and foremost working with the native landscape, secondly encouraging maximum biodiversity throughout the area, and finally, spending as much time as possible in the garden cultivating a close relationship with the plants.
Encouraging maximum biodiversity in the garden allows for nature to handle pest control. A diversity of plant species in the garden equates to a healthy and abundant population of predatory insects.
Our gardens are right outside our door, and this allows us to enjoy them each and every day. We dig, plant, and harvest by hand, and we are very grateful to be able to have such a natural, symbiotic sharing of our space with the flora and fauna. We believe that this care and respect for the plants we tend shines through in our finished products, and we hope you will agree.
Herbal steam distillation is a domain where chemistry meets alchemy. The plants themselves are the products of the Earth’s own distillation of sun and moonlight, earth and rain, as well as the caring energy we put into our cultivation work.
During the distillation process, the medicinal qualities and healing energetics of herbs are extracted by forcing steam through a mass of plant material. The steam carries away chemical compounds present naturally in the plant, and in the resulting solution there are produced both an oil based extract of the plant (known as essential oil) and a water based part (known as hydrosol or hydrolate). The oil and water separate naturally during distillation and both contain aromatic chemical constituents of the plant distilled in concentrated and unique forms.
We are fortunate to live near wild fields and forests. Not far beyond the edge of our gardens Nature’s own gardens begin. We are able to seasonally harvest many edible and medicinal plants from our nearby surroundings.
Floracopeia was established to provide the highest quality botanical treasures and health education, support ecological agriculture, and promote traditional plant-based knowledge. I choose to work with these oils because of the noticeable difference in aromatic quality and the integrity of the commitment they have to the ecology and sustainable agriculture. Floracopeia is also an excellent source for education in Aromatherapy, Health and Spirituality.
Another excellent company who work directly with farmers and have a very high standard and commitment to purity and the environment. The quality is evident in the aromas and the company is another excellent resource for education in Aromatherapy
- – http://www.organic-unity.com/
Source for spagyric tinctures, founded by Sajah Popham, together with his school: https://www.evolutionaryherbalism.com/. A unique synthesis of traditional alchemy and spagyrics, medical astrology, clinical herbalism, and ayurveda.
- https://learningherbs.com offers a wide variety of easy to understand information on how to use herbal remedies in your life, recipes and excellent kid-friendly content such as the chapter story series, Herb Fairies, and Wildcraft, a family board game!
- https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/ – Rosalee de la Foret herbalist, author of Alchemy of Herbs, and Education Director of Learning Herbs.com. Her website and blog are an valuable source of herbal and health information.
- http://www.alchemillasapotek.com/ – my friend Lisa Jeannin, maker of spagyric tinctures and artist. Her philosophy and connection to the plants help make her products of the highest quality.
- http://indiancreekorchard.ca/ – is an organic CSA farm growing vegetables just up the road from us. Their farming practices are inspirational.
Studies and Coursework
- Aromatherapy Foundations Certification Course
- The Pharmacy of Flowers
- Hua Lu – Using Essential Oils According to Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Aromatic Alchemy Immersion
- Soma, The Nectar of Rejuvenation
- Medicinal Plants and Spiritual Evolution
- Medicinal Plants for Protecting the Mind, Body, and Spirit
- Ayurvedic Aromatherapy
- Elemental Herbalism
- Astral Herbalism
- Botanical Constellations
- Materia Medica Monthly